Aqua opened on December 31st 1999, and since then service our mission has been to provide the highest quality seafood dishes to everyone who visits us. Located at the very end of Howth’s West Pier Aqua sits proudly in a building which previously belonged to Howth Sailing Club, which was formed in 1895. The building, as it stands today, did not exist then, so the club rented rooms in the harbour offices (owned by ‘Bord of Works’) and the few small rooms were accessed by an outside wooden stairway.
In 1934, with the adoption of engines in boats, Howth Motor Yacht Club was formed and began operating from rooms in the same building. Fast forward to 1968 and membership of both clubs had grown to the point where the surroundings were cramped, to say the least. Coinciding with the amalgamation of the two clubs into ‘Howth Yacht Club’, the decision was taken to extend the premises into the building you see today and works were completed in 1969.
In 1986, Howth Yacht Club had again outgrown their premises and it was time to move on. Following their departure the building was used for various purposes including fish offices, but by late in the 20th century the building had become dilapidated and in need of intense renovation.
The owners of Aqua restaurant, keen sailors themselves, would often sail past and reminisce about the building. It was during one of these ‘sail pasts’ that a plan was hatched to open a restaurant and restore the building to its former glory. Refurbishments began in 1998 and on millennium night 2000, with a firework lit backdrop, Aqua restaurant served its first meal to a gathering of family and friends. The atmosphere has never changed, a meal in Aqua is an opportunity to gather to celebrate with family and friends all that is good in dining and select company.